flour is defined as a fine, soft powder.somewhere along the way i’m afraid we have almost exclusively defined flour as “wheat”.gluten-free bakers have ignited such a great rediscovery of flavors based upon other flours, the real definition. finely ground nuts, grains, and more.
there are so many flours that make delicious dishes. much more delicious than just plain wheat. without the gluten.
in this cupcake, i’ve used breton’s gluten-free original crackers with flax and ground pecans. that’s it.
they are deliciously tender, perfectly moist and amazingly flavorful. and my son announced the frosting was his favorite of all time.
something about carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. the ultimate non-chocolate comfort food dessert.
(serve this to mom tomorrow after she finishes this.)
- ¾ cup finely ground pecans (about a scant 1 cup pecan halves)
- ¾ cup finely ground Breton Gluten Free Original with flax crackers (about 12 crackers)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces drained crushed pineapple
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1¼ cups peeled and grated carrots (about 3 carrots)
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (or extract)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine finely ground pecans, crackers, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Combine eggs, pineapple, sugar, oil, and vanilla paste. Add egg mixture to pecan mixture and stir until well-combined. Stir in carrots.
- Divide mixture evenly among 12 cupcake liners in a muffin tin. Bake at 350° for 20-23 minutes or until pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla paste with an electric mixer; beat until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes.
- Top with carrots curls, if desired.