these mexican chocolate pretzels were pretty great. the only thing i failed to do was dip each bite into a warm chocolate sauce. you should do that… undoubtedly it will completley erase the above dog park reference from your mind.
Cinnamon-Sugar Chocolate Soft Pretzels
Yield 5 -6 pretzels
- 1 package yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup 105-115 water
- 350 grams kumquat's gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 70 grams (1 cup) unflavored whey protein
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- melted butter
- cinnamon sugar
- Combine yeast, water, and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, whey protein, cocoa, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, xanthan gum, and butter in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter with pastry cutter or fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add yeast mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pour out on a surface and knead a few times to make a smooth dough. Place dough in a well-greased bowl and cover. Let rise in a warm place, free from drafts for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475°. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Knead pieces in your hands until nicely smooth. Roll each piece into a 16-18-inch length and form into a pretzel shape.
- In a non-aluminum pot, bring water to a boil with baking soda. Add pretzels, two at a time, and boil 1 minute. Shake off excess water. Place pretzels on a baking sheet coated generously with cooking spray. Spray pretzels with cooking spray. Bake at 475° for 10 minutes or done. Allow to cool slightly. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.