ever since i surrendered to using gums (just a little), the list of recipes i’d like to make has grown quite a bit.
there’s a BIG texas challenge to come that i’ve been wanting to tackle successfully. i think i’m trying it today, so cross your fingers for me…
but for now, i wanted to share this recipe… for the easiest bread ever. it is hearty and filled with crunchy and chewy bits here and there. mostly importantly, it requires no fancy equipment, skills, or ingredients.
i ate the majority of it with a simple slab of butter. a few times i added a slice of cheddar on top on that slab of butter. it was heavenly.
Oat, Nut & Fruit Bread
- 245 grams (about 1 3/4 cups) gluten-free oat flour
- 100 grams (about 3/4 cups) kumquat's gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/3 cup chopped raw almonds
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine flours, salt, baking soda, xanthan gum, raisins, seeds, and almonds in a medium bowl. Combine buttermilk, olive oil, and honey. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir until a dough forms. Turn dough out onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Use hands to form a large ball of well-combined dough.
- Spray top of dough with cooking spray and press rolled oats onto surface of dough, if desired. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until dough sounds hollow when it is tapped on.