mom recently cracked the code on the perfect gluten-free biscuit. and now i can share it with you!
i wish i could share one with minnie. (who, by the way, was diagnosed late in life with celiac disease in addition to lifelong type 1 diabetes, tipping me off to my own issues with gluten.)
next monday marks 4 years since minnie passed away. i think of her often. when i think of how much she would adore my kids. when i make a pot of pinto beans. when i smell chanel no. 5. when i hear “amazing grace”.
and always when i eat a biscuit with honey.
No-Lie Best-Ever Gluten-Free Biscuits
Yield 9 biscuits
- 330 grams (about 2 2/3 cups) kumquat's gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 27 grams (about 1/3 cup) unflavored whey protein
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- additional cream and sugar for top
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine flour, whey protein, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, and sugar in a large bowl. Cut butter in with a pastry cutter, two knives, or fingers until it resembles coarse meal. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour in heavy cream and milk. Stir until mixture comes together.
- Turn dough out onto the counter; knead a few times just to incorporate everything if needed. Gently pat the dough out to 1-inch thickness. Dip a 2 1/2-inch round cutter in additional flour and cut dough. Gather scraps together and reroll to cut and use as much dough as possible. (the beauty of gluten-free flour means no tough biscuits!) Place dough rounds onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving about 1/4-inch space between them. Brush tops of biscuits with a little additional cream and sprinkle with a bit of sugar.
- Bake biscuits at 375° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and flaky.