this year i have three valentines.
i’m so incredibly grateful for each of them.
“we love because he first loved us.” it’s true.
i was asked by brilliant earth to post a creative expression of love. i’m not usually one to promote companies on this site, but i will speak up when i believe in them.
it is hard to say no to diamonds, but more importantly, i so appreciate the care that brilliant earth puts into what they do. their diamonds are harvested ethically and they give profits back to underdeveloped communities ravaged by the jewelry industry.
that’s love, too.
Texas Sheet Cake
- 2 teaspoons golden flaxmeal
- 4 teaspoons very hot water
- 2 sticks butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 280 grams (about 2 cups) kumquat's all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- 1 stick butter
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine flaxmeal and hot water until a slurry forms.
- Combine butter, cocoa and water in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, vanilla and eggs. Add cocoa mixture to flour mixture, stirring well. Add flax slurry and buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter into a 17-x 11- x 1-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While cake bakes, combine butter and cocoa in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat. Add sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- After cake is removed from oven, pour icing mixture over warm cake. Working quickly, spread frosting completely over the top of the cake. Let cool.
- If desired, melt white chocolate morsels with a tad of coconut oil. Place melted chocolate in a zip-top bag. Snip corner of bag and pipe "love" over cake.
- Serve to someone you love.