this winter has not been an easy one. it has snowed every month since we moved to kansas in february (including this past tuesday… honestly). countless dreary, cold, rainy days too. hibernation could be an appropriate word for what i’ve been doing.
ahhh, but today was lovely… full of soul-feeding sunshine, blue skies, and pleasant temperatures.
hallelujah… cause this girl needs her sunlight. days like today make me want to cook and eat delicious, healthy salads.
this salad is a hit with my boy (who is also beyond thrilled that daddy just bought him an enormous outdoor trampoline). it’s a great vegetarian main dish or perfect as a side for grilled chicken.
here’s hoping for an abundance of trampoline-jumping, salad-eating, vitamin d-inducing, “all right” days from here forward.
Red Quinoa & Cranberry Salad
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
- 3 green onions, sliced diagonally into 1/4-slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Combine quinoa and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- Combine cranberries, green onions, garlic, pecans, mint, and parsley in a medium bowl. Stir in quinoa.
- Combine oil and remaining ingredients; stir well. Pour oil mixture over quinoa mixture; stir well. Chill or serve immediately.