when the going gets tough… i get baking.when i have a kitchen, that is. before it was packed up in cardboard and loaded upon a truck. in the midst of preparation for packers (my ritual, which confuses my husband, of the organizing, arranging, and prepping of our junk prior to the packers packing it), i had continuous cravings for muffins.
first there were coconut cranberry muffins and now these. the perfect combination of blueberry and lemon. topped with a sweet, zippy glaze. a cup of coffee. equals a brief escape from the crazy.
so, i’m half-way here. safely landed in dorothy’s kansas. now… if only that truck would join us.
- 280 grams (2 cups) kumquat's all-purpose flour or other gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in blueberries and lemon rind.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, butter, extract, juice, and egg. Add mixture to dry ingredients; stir well.
- Spoon mixture evenly into greased 12-muffin tin. Bake at 400° for 22-25 minutes or until golden and a pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for a few minutes. Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice; spoon over cooled muffins. Enjoy!