this cake turned out deliciously flavorful. add a hefty scoop of whipped cream and caramel sauce, and you have a coffee shop favorite in cake form. (i used mrs. richardson’s butterscotch caramel sauce. holy freaking yum. i want to eat it from the jar.)
the review from my 4-year old was, “mommy, you make the best cakes ever. this is my favorite.” ahhh, the highest praise possible…
Caramel Macchiato Angel Food Cake
Yield 8 -10 servings
- 70 grams superfine brown rice flour
- 70 grams tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon very hot water
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped Cream
- Caramel Sauce (prepared or homemade)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flours, 3/4 cup sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; set aside. Combine espresso powder and hot water in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl; beat to soft peaks. Add remaining 3/4 cup sugar in small batches; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add espresso mixture and vanilla extract to eggs; fold in gently. Add flour mixture in 1/4 cup batches; fold in gently to not deflate eggs. Pour or spoon mixture evenly into an ungreased tube pan. Run spatula carefully through mixture to get rid of any air pockets.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Invert pan to cool completely. To remove cake from pan, run a knife around the edges of the pan. Cut cake with a serrated knife.
- Serve with whipped cream and caramel sauce.