if you know me, you would know i couldn’t let this frito-lays gluten-free chips challenge pass me by without trying something sweet.
if the idea of “frito waffles” make you cock your head and whisper, “whaaa…?”, then just trust me. the great thing about fritos and many of the frito-lays chips is that they are made of three simple ingredients… in this case corn, oil, and salt. a simple canvas on which so many sweet or savory flavor profiles can be painted. i already know that corn cakes go exceptionally well with lemon and blueberries, so i decided to give strawberries and cream a go.
oh, yum… it so works.
admittedly, like so many gluten-free baked goods, these waffles are a little more tender than crispy-crunchy. think pancake tender. but still delicious. and i’m thinking that maybe if you pop these guys in the toaster oven or regular oven they may just crisp up a bit, if that’s your waffle texture preference. we, at my house, didn’t seem to wait around to care… just had to struggle a little with portion control.
so, thanks to frito-lay for taking an interest in providing safe, delicious gluten-free snacks and encouraging us to think a little out of the box to incorporate them in some yum recipes. don’t forget to enter the GIVEAWAY… and you can even have some for free!
Frito Waffles with Mascarpone and Warm Strawberry Compote
Serves: 8 waffles
- 175 grams (about 1¼ cups) millet flour
- 50 grams (about ¾ cup) crushed FRITOS® Original Corn Chips
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 large egg whites
For Strawberry Compote
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine flour, corn chips, flaxmeal, baking powder, milk, egg yolks, vanilla, butter and honey in a blender container. Blend until smooth. Beat egg whites in a medium bowl until they form soft peaks. Fold flour mixture into beaten egg whites until incorporated, being careful not to deflate egg whites.
- Pour about ½ cup of batter onto greased, heated griddle and cook until waffle is done, according to manufacturer's instructions. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Combine strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until juicy and thickened.
- Serve waffles with mascarpone cheese and warm strawberries.
i received free samples from frito-lay of the products mentioned in this post. by posting this recipe i am entering a recipe contest sponsored by frito-lay and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. i was not compensated for my time.