today i have the privilege of guest-posting at my talented friend, debra’s, lovely design blog, cocoon home. you may remember this delicious dinner she shared on my blog several months ago.
well, turnabout is fair play… and of course, i’ve brought dessert. this cake is one i’ve been waiting to share for a while. please, jump over to her site for more…
Flourless Chocolate-Pomegranate Cake
- 16 ounces semisweet baking chocolate (i used ghiradelli)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh pomegranate juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Fresh pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine chocolate and butter in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until chocolate and butter melts together, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in pomegranate juice and salt, and let cool a bit.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl with high speed of an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Beat egg yolks and sugar in another large mixing bowl with medium speed of an electric mixer until thick and pale.
- Fold one-third chocolate mixture into egg yolk mixture. Gently fold in one-third of beaten egg whites. Fold in remaining chocolate mixture and egg whites. Pour batter into a greased 10-inch springform pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until edges are set and center is still wobbly and not set. Cool to room temperature in pan on wire rack. Cover and chill 8 hours. Remove sides of springform pan before serving and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.