happy new year!
with the new year comes a new month of the gluten-free ratio rally. this month we baked biscuits.
as a girl with deep southern roots, biscuits are a must. biscuits make me think of my grandmother. every breakfast at her house included biscuits and sausage patties. which makes sense because her mother, my mom’s grandmother, made biscuits from scratch every morning. biscuits make my mom think of her grandmother too.
it was over the holidays in my mom’s kitchen that i needed to make the biscuits for this post. so i let mom decide… what kind of biscuit do i make? since she has recently determined that a gluten-free diet may be necessary for her too, she obviously was hungry for a good, basic, a little-sweet, buttermilk biscuit. the kind that goes with everything.
ruhlman’s ratio for biscuits is 3 parts flour : 1 part fat : 2 parts liquid.
Sweet Buttermilk Biscuits
Yield 9 biscuits
- 2 teaspoons golden flaxmeal
- 4 teaspoons hot water
- 420 grams (about 3 cups) kumquat flour
- 53 grams (about 1/4 cup) sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Cooking spray
- Melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine flaxmeal and hot water to make a slurry. Set aside
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry cutter, two knives, or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk and flax slurry until mixture forms a dough.
- Fold out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until mixture comes together and pat into 3/4-inch thickness. Cut biscuits with a 2 1/2-inch cutter, being sure not to twist cutter when releasing dough. Place biscuits a few inches apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush biscuits with melted butter.
- Bake at 400° for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Stir honey into remaining melted butter and brush tops of hot biscuits.
this month i had the privilege of hosting the rally with all of my talented fellow gluten-free bloggers. please check out their delicious biscuit recipes from the links below.
amanda from gluten free maui made classic biscuits and gravy
amie of the healthy apple made wasabi parsley biscuits
caleigh of gluten free[k] made american style biscuits
caneel of mama me gluten free made whole grain pecan drop biscuits
charissa of zest bakery made eggnog biscuits with grated nutmeg
erin of the sensitive epicure made scallion biscuits with sausage gravy
heather of discovering the extraordinary made almond coconut tea biscuits
jean of gluten-free doctor recipes made jammers
jonathan of the canary files made vegan sesame shiso biscuits
karen of cooking gluten free! made biscuit template with dairy free substiutions
lisa of gluten free canteen made fluffy biscuits
mary fran of frannycakes made suprise flavor biscuits
mrs r of honey from flint rocks made turkey pot pie with biscuit topping
rachel of the crispy cook made hummus in a biscuit
silvana of silvana’s kitchen made sausage-n-cheddar bialy biscuits
tr of no one likes crumbley cookies made lemon basil biscuits