ruhlman’s ratio for a sugar cookie is 1.5 parts flour / 1 part sugar / 1 part butter.
the ratio i used was close enough. it came out to 1.8 parts flour / 1 part sugar / 1 part butter.
Classic Sugar Cookies
- 1 teaspoon golden flaxmeal
- 2 teaspoons very hot water
- 420 grams (about 3 cups) kumquat's all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine flaxmeal and hot water in a small bowl. Mix well until a slurry forms; set aside. Combine gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer, or with a handheld electric mixer, for 5 minutes or until pale. Add flax slurry, egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract; beat until combined. Stir in flour mixture until dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a large sheet of wax paper. Top dough with another sheet of wax paper. Roll dough to 3/8-inch thickness. Place wax paper covered dough onto a baking sheet and place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove dough from freezer; peel top layer of wax paper off of dough and place back on dough. Turn dough over; peel layer of wax paper off of dough and discard paper. Cut cookies with desired cookie cutter shapes. Re-roll all excess dough and cut cookies (no need to re-chill).
- Place cut cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until edges are barely golden and middles look tender.
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 5-6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- Combine ingredients in the bowl of a standing mixer. Beat on high until stiff peaks form. Color with gluten-free food colorings, if desired.
amanda of gluten free maui made simple shortbread
amie of the healthy apple made grapefruit sugar cookies
brook of b & the boy made candy cane shortbread
caleigh of gluten free[k] made mulled spice cookies
caneel of mama me gluten free made cardamom date cookies
caroline of the g spot revolution made double chocolate chip peppermint cookies
charissa of zest bakery made coconut peanut butter chocolate cookies
claire of gluten freedom made chai latte cashew cookies
erin of the sensitive epicure made spritz cookies with jam
irvin of eat the love made apple brown butter bay leaf spice cookies
jean of gluten free doctor recipes made reindeer cookies
jenn of jenn cuisine made basler brunsli
jonathan of the canary files made salted oatmeal raisin cookies
karen of cooking gluten free made mexican wedding cakes
lisa of gluten free canteen made molasses rum raisin cookies
mary fran of frannycakes made pinwheel cookies
meredith of gluten free betty made chocolate peppermint cookies
pete & kelli of no gluten, no problem made belgian speculaas cookies
rachel of the crispy cook made melomakarona
shauna of gluten-free girl made soft molasses cookies
silvana of silvana’s kitchen made old-school italian jam-filled hazelnut cookies
tr of no one likes crumbley cookies made cinnamon lemon cookies
tara of a baking life made walnut shortbread
these cookies will also be a part of the gluten free scallywag‘s online gluten-free christmas magazine. please hop over to the gorgeous and amazing magazine and treat yourself to a look! thanks, jas, for the great honor of being a part of something so lovely and mouth-watering!