hummingbirds remind me first of my brother-in-law. shortly after jason’s death, my sweet husband was quietly sitting alone on the patio of my parent’s texas ranch staring at the still water, thinking of his brother. a tiny hummingbird appeared, flew straight to him and hovered mid-air directly in his face, eye to eye, for a full minute. this was only one of a few visits from hummingbirds just after jason left us. i now see those beautiful, delicate creatures as messengers of hope…
- 4 teaspoons ground golden flax
- 8 teaspoons very hot water
- Cooking spray
- 390 grams (about 3 cups) kumquat all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces drained, canned crushed pineapple
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 bananas)
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 (1-pound) packages powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350`.
- Combine ground flax and hot water until a thickened slurry forms; set aside.
- Cut parchment circles to fit the bottom of 3 (9-inch) round cake pans. Spray with cooking spray and place circles in the bottoms of the pans; set aside.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and pecans in a large bowl. In another bowl, beat sugar, eggs and vanilla until just pale and thickened. Add flax slurry to egg mixture and beat quickly to combine. Add pineapple, bananas, and oil to egg mixture. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until combined.
- Divide and pour batter evenly among three prepared pans. Bake pans at 350` for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean. Let cool completely on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, combine butter, cream cheese and vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer until creamy and combined. Add powdered sugar, in batches, until well combined. Do not overbeat or create too many air bubbles in the frosting.
- Frost top of one layer of cake, stack another layer and frost top, stack last layer. Frost top and sides of cake with a thin layer of frosting. Chill cake and frosting for 4 hours or overnight. Give remaining frosting a good stir, and use all to frost cake.
**hummingbird was created freehand with Wilton Dark Chocolate Candy Melts.