boccone dolce…”sweet mouthful”.
really, truly, what better way to start a food blog than with those two words. in any language.
to me, there’s nothing more delightful than baked meringue. the crunchy outside with a soft & slightly chewy interior. except maybe adding melted chocolate, sweet whipped cream, and fresh berries. plus, in all this delicious simplicity, it’s naturally gluten free.
this beautiful, towering boccone dolce is the perfect ending to a spring meal… or maybe just for when you’re dreaming of spring.
Serves: 8 servings.
- Cooking spray
- 4 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups blackberries
- Preheat oven to 275`.
- Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Place parchment paper on baking sheets. Draw 3 (8-inch) circles on paper. Turn paper over.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt with a mixer at high speed until foamy; add vanilla. Slowly add 1 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Divide meringue evenly among 3 circles; spread evenly with a spatula or the back of a spoon to fill circles. Bake at 275` for 1 hour or until dry. Turn off oven and let meringues cool in oven for 4 hours. Gently remove cooked meringues from parchment paper.
- Combine heavy cream and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl. Beat mixture with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Combine chocolate chips and milk in a medium bowl. Carefully melt in the microwave; stir till smooth.
- Place one meringue layer on a serving plate or cake stand. Spread ½ of chocolate on top of meringue. Spread ⅓ whipped cream on top; top with ⅓ berries. Repeat layers once. Top with final meringue, and remaining whipped topping and berries. Cover loosely and chill for a couple of hours before serving.
*adapted from a recipe i developed for Weight Watchers Annual Recipes for Success 2004